Small Refrigerators for Small Spaces
It’s hard enough choosing the right college, but when selecting dorm refrigerators
, the process is much easier. It begins with determining exactly how much storage space you need
. Your choices will come down to either a compact refrigerator
or a compact cube
which vary greatly in their storage capacity.
A compact cube refrigerator typically ranges from 1.5 – 2.7 cubic feet of storage space with a very small compartment for ice trays (that are usually not frost free and will periodically need to be defrosted as ice can build up over time.
- Note: When defrosting a compact refrigerator, simply unplug the unit for 24 hours. Do NOT use any heating aid such as a hair dryer or portable heater to speed up this process as you could damage the internal mechanics of the unit.)
The storage space available in a compact refrigerator typically runs from 2.5 to 10 cubic feet of storage space. Some of these refrigerators come with separate door freezers making them look like a top freezer refrigerator and others even come with automatic factory installed ice makers. These types of refrigerators are often called midsize or counter height refrigerators. A hotel mini bar fridge is right in this range for example.
Different Dorm Room Refrigerator Finishes
Dorm refrigerators are now available in a broader choice of colors than in years past. Most of these refrigerators come in black, white, or stainless steel. But, manufacturers are starting to realize the benefit in breaking away from the boring palate of typical colors.
Haier in particular is getting really creative having come up with a pink one (the Haier America C-RNU1708PK to be exact) as well as one that has a dry erase finish that allows you to write notes on it for yourself or your roommate (the Haier Write Fridge).
Manufacturers of Dorm Refrigerators
We found more than a handful of companies worth taking a look at to find the perfect dorm refrigerators.
- Edge Star: They make one cube refrigerator (1.5 cu ft) and one compact refrigerator (3.2 cu ft) that is has a top freezer door and both are stainless steel.
- Danby: This manufacturer offers a decent selection across the board with 3 different cube refrigerators, 4 compact refrigerators and 1 dual door compact fridge. We also liked the different finishes offered (Black, White and Stainless Steel).
- Haier: This is one marketplace that Haier refrigerators really do well. They currently manufacture 5 cube refrigerators (one is the Write Fridge that we mentioned above that has a white board surface that allows you to leave notes on it) and 6 compact refrigerators (with one that has a double door to it). The finishes range from white to black as well as stainless steel.
- Avanti: In researching Avanti refrigerators we found that they make 10 cube refrigerator models (though many of these were refrigerator only), 23 counter high models (four of these were double door fridge/freezer combos) and 4 mid-size refrigerators. Most of these models came in either black or stainless steel.
- Summit: In regards to their compact refrigerators, they make 4 refrigerator-freezer compact cube models, 4 all refrigerator compact cube models and over 2 dozen compact refrigerator models. These models come in a variety of finishes as they are quite often used in homes for beverage refrigerators in game rooms.
- Koolatron: The selection is pretty slim regarding the fact that there is only one compact cube model and one compact model though both do come in stainless steel doors with black.Marvel – While they do make compact refrigerators that could very well be used in a dorm room most people would consider them due to the fact they are typically quite pricey and made for a built in look with sleek and elegant design. Though if money is not a consideration, then definitely take a look at their 7 under counter models.
Dorm Refrigerators Related Articles
Apartment Size Refrigerator: Think you might actually be able to have a larger fridge in your dorm room and you would like it to be one you can use in an apartment, then these small refrigerators might be perfect for your needs.
Cheap Refrigerators: Are you on a tight budget and looking for the best way to save money on your refrigerator? Take a look at our ten tips to save when buying your fridge.
Compact Refrigerator: Want to know more about compact refrigerators before making your decision, then take a look at our article on compact refrigerators.
Dorm Fridge: Not sure how to pick out the perfect one for you, this article should help you figure out just which one to buy.
Mini Refrigerators: These are perfect if you have minimal storage space but not enough for a regular dorm fridge.
Small Refrigerators: Just because it's called a 'small refrigerator' doesn't mean it will fit your space or your needs. Take a look at what actually makes a small refrigerator small.
Take me from Dorm Refrigerators to Compact Refrigerators
Take Me To Apartment Refrigerators
Take Me To Refrigerator Reviews
Sitemap| 2| 3 | 4| 5 | 6