Whirlpool French Door Refrigerator Reviews
Affordable and Durable Style
The Whirlpool French Door Refrigerators give you the perfect blend of high end styling mixed with long term durability.
These are great models, but there are also many more french door models are available in two other proprietary brands Amana and Maytag.
Within the Whirlpool brand, there were a handful that stood out as true winners.
When reviewing these Whirlpool French Door Refrigerators, we give values to five categories and then we add in the user reviews for that particular model. These categories are:
- Energy Efficiency
- Easy to Clean
As always, we also look at available features, warranties, durability, ease of use and overall appearance.
(Click here for Whirlpool Gold French Door Refrigerator Reviews)
Whirlpool French Door Features
The Whirlpool French Door Refrigerators offer a number of great features in its line of French Door Refrigerators
- Expanded Capacity: The average capacity of the Whirlpool French Door Refrigerator line is about 15-16 cubic feet of refrigerator space and 6-7 cubic feet of freezer space. Considering you want about 10 cubic feet of capacity per couple, any french door refrigerator with this type of capacity should suit your needs.
- Decreased Door Swing: The unfortunate truth is that many kitchens aren't compatible with all refrigerators. With with a reversible door swing, you can reverse the direction of the door but you can't make it any shorter if there just isn't enough room. That's a perfect place for a french door model. The double doors open up with only half of the door swing and allow you to get full size platters into your fridge. These are great for kitchens with less space.
- SpillGuard Glass Shelves: There's nothing more annoying than spilling a liquid and having it fall through the wire shelves of a typical fridge. With the SpillGuard Glass Shelves that's a problem of the past. The spill is contained on one easy to clean, removable shelf.
- Most have Energy Star certification: Whirlpool currently has thirty seven (37) refrigerators with the Energy Star label. An unprecedented percentage compared to many of the other brands out there.
Our Favorite 3 Whirlpool French Door Fridges
We have reviewed and “road tested” all 26 of the Whirlpool Gold Top Mounted Refrigerator Freezers and here are the THREE models we liked the best:
1. Whirlpool Gold GX5FHDXT French Door Refrigerator Freezer
Overall: The Whirlpool GX5SFDXT is truly one of our favorites in the Gold Refrigerator line. It exceeds at temperature performance as well as amazing energy efficiency. Not to mention the fact it's price is just under $1,500.00, making this model both cost effective and efficient.
Pros: Here are the things that we felt worth mentioning:
- If you are looking for a great deal of storage space, then this one Whirlpool Fridge Freezer to seriously consider.
- If you've ever had to clean up a spill in your current refrigerator, then the Spillproof Shelving in this one will be a big help.
- The easy to read and use Temperature Controls make this refrigerator an excellent performer.
- The produce drawers are Humidity Controlled to help keep your veggies garden fresh. The ease of adjustment allows you to customize the humidity level to whatever you put in them.
- Regardless of the inexpensive cost, this refrigerator still comes with a Manufacturer's Warranty that covers the first year of use.
Cons: While there weren't many things that we didn't like, we did find a few. The lack of pullout shelving made cleaning as well as reaching things way back quite difficult. The other thing we noticed was it made a bit more noise than we expected.
MSRP: $1599-1799.99 (depending on the color)
Here's what it's selling for today:
Click here for the top 4 Whirlpool Gold French Door Refrigerator Reviews)
Click here to see more French Door Refrigerator Reviews
2. Whirlpool GI5FSAXV Bottom Freezer French Door Refrigerator
Overall: We found this unit to be quite a nice addition to any kitchen. It has a very modern look to it adding a great deal of visual appeal. It comes in different colors as well as a Satina finish.
Pros: In our testing there were a few things that really stood out:
- The Monochromatic Satina Finish on the stainless version does not streak or fingerprint as well as it is magnetic, allowing you to stick things on it with magnets.
- The casters at the bottom of the fridge made installing it a breeze (though we still do recommend placing cardboard underneath where you are rolling it to make sure you protect your floors).
- French doors that seal regardless of which door is closed first due to a Hinged Bar System.
- The refrigerator shelves are modular and can easily be adjusted to different heights to allow for better storage.
- The ice and water dispenser has a Digital Display allowing you to select what you want dispensed.
Cons:While the access to the freezer was easy, we though it could use a bit more space for larger items like pizza boxes.
We also found that the refrigerator doors lost space due to the ice and water dispenser being placed within the refrigerator though that is the give and take of having a dispenser in the door.
Lastly, this model is a bit on the costly side and might not be the right choice if you are looking for a bargain.
MSRP: $2100-$2400 depending on the finish though quite often you can find it for less than this. Take a look below:
Click here to see more French Door Refrigerator Reviews
3. Whirlpool GX5FHTXT Bottom Freezer French Door Refrigerator
Overall: This refrigerator seemed to be well built, made for ease of organization and very practical to live with. It was a very easy refrigerator to live with and use on a day to day basis.
Pros: We felt many things were considered when planning out this refrigerator.
- The overall layout was very convenient, with many places to store a great deal of items actually being quite roomy on the inside.
- We really enjoyed the fresh water dispenser from within the fridge itself. It allowed for us to never have to carry water home from the grocery store again and to always have cold water waiting for us without the hassle of a pitcher or bottle.
- The french doors enabled us to easily place party trays inside which we had never been able to do before owning a french door refrigerator.
- The 4 SpillGuard glass shelves are incredibly helpful in the regards of having to take care of a clean up.
- The Door Bins can comfortably hold a gallon size of milk or juice, allowing you to use your more visible shelf space for other items.
- The Humidity Controlled Crispers not only added even more space, they were very effective at keeping fresh fruits and vegetables the way they should be -- fresh.
Cons: The largest complaint we could find was that certain colors can prove to be fairly costly.
MSRP: $1600-$1800 depending on the finish. We've found it lower than this. Here's the monochromatic stainless steel price below: